Planting trees is a great way to add value to your property and create your own unique sense of the great outdoors. Unfortunately, trees are often the target of many different types of wildlife and pests that may want to encroach on your own personal paradise.
Rabbits and deer are both beautiful animals that are fun to see out in nature. Unfortunately, many urban and suburban areas also have considerable rabbit and deer populations that can cause damaged to landscaping, including trees.
It’s important to work with a trusted landscaping expert to help you develop and implement a plan to keep your trees healthy and free from potential pests. Landscaping professionals can assist you with identifying potential threats facing your trees, and help you plan a course of resistance.
Defending Against Deer
Deer are certainly exciting to see out in the wild, and decidedly less exciting to see damaging your landscaping. Many deer approach trees to scratch the velvet off of their antlers. This can tear your tree’s bark, leaving unsightly gashes and leaving your tree susceptible to disease. Follow these tips to protect trees from deer in Fargo, ND:
- Use deer repellents: Products like Repels-All and Plantskydd can be effective at keeping deer away from your trees. These natural products trigger the flight response of a variety of animals, including deer, through taste, texture and smell.
- Put up a plastic or mesh tree guard: Placing a plastic or mesh tree guard around the tree can make it less attractive to the deer, and also protect the tree’s bark from damage.
- Fence off the trees: Installing a protective fence in the areas of your yard surrounding your trees is a great way to ensure that they’re safe and protected from deer. In fact, this is likely to be the most effective means of keeping deer away from your trees.
Fending Off Rabbits
Rabbits, like deer, may end up damaging your trees. They like to chew on bark and certain types of leaves. If you’re worried about rabbits in your yard harming your trees, here are a few things that you can do to protect trees from rabbits in Fargo, ND:
- Use rabbit repellents: There are a number of commercially-produced rabbit repellents you might want to consider investing in. Repels-All, Plantskydd and particularly Rabbit Scram offer effective, natural approaches to keeping rabbits at bay.
- Create an underground barrier: Rabbits are burrowing animals, which means that you’ll need to create an underground barrier to keep them away from your trees.
- Install a fence: Consider installing a barrier using chicken wire or landscaping cloth. Rabbits are capable of slinking through even the smallest holes, so you’ll want to make sure the barrier is fine enough to keep them at bay. Again, a fence is likely to offer the most effective long-term defense against rabbits.
Since 1978, S & S Landscaping Co. Inc. has been a premier provider of landscaping services in the Fargo area. If you’re looking for a partner to assist you as you attempt to protect trees from rabbits and deer in Fargo, ND, look no further than S & S Landscaping Co. Inc. We’d be happy to help you identify the best way to protect and safeguard your landscaping endeavors. Reach out to us today to learn more or schedule a consultation!
Categorised in: Landscaping